Whiplash Relief from Your Chiropractor in Newcastle, WA
Whiplash almost always occurs when its victims least expect it. Although it is frequently an injury experienced during an auto accident, our Newcastle chiropractor notes that it can occur following any sudden force that causes the head to whip back and forth. Fortunately for patients who experience the resulting neck pain, treatment at our Chiropractic Wellness Center consists of only holistic, non-invasive, and drug-free options.
Whiplash is the potential result whenever a force causes violent jerking of the head from front to back. This degree of force has the capability of rupturing soft tissues and pushing spinal vertebrae out of place. It can even cause herniated spinal discs.
Some patients correctly refer to this condition as a neck strain. However, it is not the same disorder as a neck sprain, which involves torn ligaments.
Many individuals feel discomfort immediately after injury. Others, however, remark that it took days for it to appear and to suggest that an injury had occurred. The most frequent symptoms patients report include:
- Neck pain and tightness paired with a reduced range of motion and the possible presence of hard or knotted muscles
- Stiffness or pain when attempting to look over a shoulder
- Tender-to-the-touch tissue
- Headaches originating at the base of the skull, then traveling toward the forehead
- Pain when rocking the head from side to side or forward and backward
Newcastle Chiropractic Treatment Options
Chiropractic treatment avoids the use of medication or surgery. Some patients with whiplash have injuries so severe that they require emergency medical services. Our Newcastle chiropractor underscores the need for prompt evaluation since a concussion is always a possibility. Patients with these symptoms should seek emergency care:
- Physical weakness
- Headaches that get worse or won’t go away
- Difficulty talking
Acting confused, being unusually sleepy, feeling nauseous or dizzy, and being unconscious are additional indicators.
Therapeutic options to treat the neck pain our patients experience include:
- Adjustments, also called manipulations, to reposition a misaligned joint
- Corrective exercises that relieve disc derangement and neck instability
- Muscle relaxation or stimulation, or a combination of both
- Ergonomic and lifestyle changes to minimize strain on the body when performing everyday tasks
Schedule a Consultation with Our Newcastle Chiropractor
Don’t ignore the pain of what could be whiplash after a recent injury. It might continue to worsen and become more serious. Seek a professional assessment as soon as you can. Our Newcastle chiropractor, Dr. Melinda Maxwell, uses a whole-person, non-invasive approach to helping patients rather than merely treating symptoms. Be sure to call our Chiropractic Wellness Center today at 425-641-7470 to schedule an appointment and begin on your path to optimal wellness.